To get an idea of what baby names will be mainstream in a year or two, just watch today’s biggest movies. New parents have been drawing inspiration from pop culture for decades. The names below have all been popularized by blockbuster movies, from superhero blockbusters to classic comedies.
To determine the most successful movie-inspired baby names, Confused.com analyzed SSA data from 2021. Of all the superheroes dominating pop culture today, Wolverine had the biggest influence on name statistics. baby, according to the report. Nearly 8,800 babies born last year were named Logan, which is also the name of a 2017 movie in the X-Men franchise. Behind on the boys list is Ace, as in Ace Ventura: animal detective. Although the Jim Carrey vehicle was released in 1994, the name is still popular nearly 30 years later.
#1 on the list of girls is Luna, a name inspired by the Harry Potter franchise. Nearly 8,200 babies were given the celestial name in 2021 (it’s also a popular fur baby name). Disney had a big influence on naming trends last year, with Aurora (Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent), Gabriella (High School Musical), and Ariel (The Little Mermaid) ranks in the top five.
Pop culture is an eternal well for parents looking for name ideas, but it’s not the main source of baby names. Today’s parents are more likely to choose classic names that predate movies and television. After reading the lists of the best movie-inspired baby names for boys and girls below, check out the most popular baby names overall in 2021.
- Logan // x-men (2000)
- As // Ace Ventura: animal detective (1994)
- Maxim // Gladiator (2000)
- Odin // Thor (2011)
- Forest // Forrest Gump (1994)
- Troy // musical high school (2006)
- Augustus // Blame it on our stars (2014)
- Kylo // Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015)
- Anakin // Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Cullen // Dusk (2008)
- Luna // Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
- Aurora // Maleficent (2014)
- Gabriella // musical high school (2006)
- Ariella // The little Mermaid (1989)
- Octavia // The hunger Games (2012)
- Trinity // The matrix (1999)
- Leah // star wars (1977)
- Regina // mean girls (2004)
- Matilda // Matilda (1996)
- Tiana // The princess and the Frog (2009)