more and more games are coming out more than ever, and I’m so excited to be able to introduce you all amazing choices this week. We have a game from #RPGSEA (Role Playing Games: South East Asia), End of Navathem (funded through the Our Shores Kickstarter earlier this year), and a bunch of other amazing games to choose from. This week, I was also able to sit down with Kieron Gillen and Grant Howitt on the DIE RPGand gathered a group of dinosaur games! With all that, let me introduce…
Creator Spotlight: Sinta Posadas and Pam Punzalan
Sinta “Sin” Posadas and Pam Punzalan are game designers from the Philippines. Posada game, Lutong Banwareceived Best in Art for the Indie Groundbreaker Award in 2021. Punzalan was nominated for the DJA Emerging Designer Award and won a Ennie as a member of the Asians Represent team. before End of Navathemthe two worked together on My big wedding in Aswang, Through this Sith wasteland you, and Utility mechanics.
The two designers have specific goals in mind for their games, hoping “to embody themes that embody themes of challenge, home and community, and intimacy.” End of Navathem feels like a culmination of those ideals, where you’re working against an apocalypse that’s been brewing for generations. As the gods of Navathem face the end of their pride, adventurers gather and fight to save what remains.
With amazing art and a familiar kitbash of design concepts Powered by Apocalypse and Blades in the dark, End of Navathem has just enough mechanical crunch to feel like building a character without feeling overwhelmed by too many stats. With concise mission breakdowns, beautiful maps, and a ton of knowledge to dig into, End of Navathem is a time-spinning anti-apocalypse game full of heart, warmth, empathy, and danger.
New releases: memory hunter, A knife to the throat, Brave Zenith
A prequel game to the indie cyberpunk darling Balikbayan, memory hunter is the horrible, postmodern introduction to the world that technology and imperialism have destroyed.
A two player game of scene building and LARP, A knife to the throat is an intimate and intense game about a pair of people who just can’t keep their blades against each other.
Described as “post-fantasy”, Brave Zenith is inspired by Brazilian summers and Japanese role-playing games. Adventurers explore the world of “past-present” and create colorful, often absurd, conflicts for their characters.
Crowdfunding: DIE, The Dark, Regency
“TO DIE is a tabletop role-playing game about fantasy versus reality, and asks the question why we play games. The comic it is based on is sometimes jokingly described as “goth Jumanji’; TO DIE the RPG is designed from the ground up to allow a group of players to create their own personal version of the comic.
“darkness is a single-player tabletop role-playing game about being lost in a darkness that seeks to overtake you, and your desperate clinging to the memories of those you love. You play as the last survivor of a group of friends who have gone on an adventure in the Scandinavian wilderness. All was well until the path got lost in the middle of a dense forest, one by one your friends were swept away by an encroaching supernatural darkness.
“In Regency, the author and the characters create a novel together. As the author sits down and writes out his story of love and societal expectations, the characters (player-controlled) are as often collaborators as they confuse the author’s vision. The game is like a conversation between the writer and these characters who often stray from the plot.
In other news
- Mutants in the sequelexpansion book Mutants in the presentis currently crowdfunded.
- Jason Cordoba written about the workings of mysterious mechanics in Brindlewood Bay.
- The NYU Game Center is currently seeking a Program Administrator fulfill two major roles: as NYU Game Center Incubator Director and like the Industry Liaison for NYU Game Center.
- Marx Shepherd published a second edition of a loud noise in a quiet place.
- Secrets of the Violent Sea succeeded in crowdfunding; his campaign continues until June 16.
- dice capital awards grants of £2,500 to three tabletop role-playing game projects.
- start playingthe San Francisco-based tabletop role-playing platform, raised $6.5 million.
- The latest game from Bully Pulpit (which has already released Fiasco, cross star, witches of the night), Despairsuccessfully funded.
- CATAN Studio announced the Sailors + Cities & Knights expansion for CATAN – 3D Edition; a release date of October 1, 2022 for CATAN – The Dawn of Humanity; and the dates from November 18 to 20 for the 2022 CATAN World Championship.
Want more io9 news? Find out when to wait for the last wonder and star wars versions, what’s next for the DC Universe in Film and TVand everything you need to know about Dragon House and The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.